ARINSA news postings

ARINSA contact points hold retreat focusing on asset management and various aspects of seizing assets and following the proceeds of crime

Picture of Kudzai Chinoda
ARINSA contact points hold retreat focusing on asset management and various aspects of seizing assets and following the proceeds of crime
by Kudzai Chinoda - Thursday, 31 January 2019, 11:25 AM

ARINSA contact points hold retreat focusing on asset management and various aspects of seizing assets and  following the proceeds of crime.

On 20 - 24 January 2019, ARINSA contact points from all the 16 Member countries converged in Cape Town (South Africa) for a retreat. The retreat provided an opportunity for private exchanges among practitioners on topics related to the personal and corporate branding of ARINSA, the overall functioning of the ARINSA network and asset management. Topics discussed included branding and ethics, the planning and preparation phase before the execution of freezing orders the modalities of data collection and reporting, the sustainability of the network and development of asset management manuals.

During the retreat, one of the facilitators Mr Praveen Naidoo, emphasised the importance of cultivating a culture of integrity: "We as ARINSA member countries are in a vulnerable state as there is a perception that our public officials have been compromised. We are here to make a difference and cannot be confined to our individual countries, because we are operating in a global village. Our role is to break the cycle. The role to drive the ARINSA mandate is key”.  The Southern and Eastern African region stands to benefit tremendously from a committed and dedicated network of ARINSA members who are open, respectful, dignified and involve a multi-disciplinary and inclusive approach to following the proceeds of crime. High on the agenda was the need for members to cultivate a cohesive and constructive environment marked by the highest degree of dignity and respect for one another, encouraging to share their diverse expertise, experience and professional backgrounds to the benefit of the region and the world at large. 

Participants exchanged ideas on ARINSA’s sustainability beyond 2020 and the themes for the upcoming Annual General Meeting to be held in June 2019 in Tanzania.  Each country shared at least one challenge and how it affected the data collection process. Additionally, the participants shared how the identified challenges were addressed or suggested recommendations were made. 

Round-table discussion were held on best practises in asset seizure and asset management. The discussions ended with participants drafting an asset management manual which will be launched at this year’s Annual General Meeting in Tanzania.

Please visit the photos from the gallery 2019. 

374 words
Picture of Dumisa Ngwenya
Re: ARINSA contact points hold retreat focusing on asset management and various aspects of seizing assets and following the proceeds of crime
by Dumisa Ngwenya - Sunday, 3 February 2019, 4:33 PM

Well captured Kudzai.

May I suggest that you consider sending me an official copy of the report for submitting to my superiors.

If my memory saves me well, we once recommended that secretariat should make endeavours to send us a report outlining resolutions. I believe that is the best practice that is normally done.  I trust that I am not out of order and if I am, please put in order.

Once again, thanks for the well captured proceedings of the working meeting and workshop.

Best Regards

Dumisa Ngwenya 

88 words